Monday, September 1, 2008

Thoughts on Jonathan Edwards's "Religious Affections": Day 6

It was encouraging to read, at the beginning of Section II, that Edwards also states that the affections given by God are essentially the 'springs' of our actions. I had used the word a few days ago as I sought to understand what Edwards described; here in Section II, Edwards uses the same word. As affections are a part of our nature, so too upon conversion are holy affections the essence of true religion (238).

The world would be static and lifeless were it not for the affections. Those who clamor after worldly treasure would not do so without being affected by greed. Those who seek sensual passions would not do so without being affected by lust. Likewise a man who possesses mere knowledge about God but lacks holy affections is useless. (238)

Edwards uses Section III to assert that without affections never was there a man who sought after God. In fact, he says, "the things of religion take hold of men's souls no further than they affect them." (238) This is apparent all the time as I think even about the people I know who have heard the gospel but remain affected. What has affected me and I know to be the Truth is plain foolishness to people like my mom and grandmother. Edwards says that is because their souls remain unaffected towards God.

1 comment:

Jess Connell said...

Likewise a man who possesses mere knowledge about God but lacks holy affections is useless. (238)

This is almost exactly the same as what I'm reading about in Knowing God right now.

I love you baby. I'm really gonna miss you.